LOCUST HILL CEMETERY
HISTORY OF LOCUST HILL CEMETERY
by Mrs. Helen Gaiser, April 1952
Locust Hill Cemetery was selected as a beautiful spot high on a hill, at that time known as Lamasco. This was homestead to a Robert Smith family on October 12, 1835. The acreage was later acquired by the Kirkpatrick family. A plot was set aside for a little Country Cemetery, where friends and neighbors of the deceased did the burying. After a few years, the Cemetery was deeded to the City of Evansville. The Cemetery in general has been operated about One Hundred Fifteen Years. Mr. W.H. Kirkpatrick was the first official Superintendent. This was in 1871. He was Superintendent for Thirty Three years. He retired in 1934. At that time, Mr. Alex Blum was appointed Superintendent. He held this office for ten years, retiring in 1943. At that time Mr. John Gaiser was appointed Superintendent.
In the fall of 1945 through the efforts of the Disabled Veterans Association, a plot was set a side for a new soldier section, as the old section for soldiers was all used. Through the efforts of Mr. Clyde Oviatt, we hope to enlarge the soldier section.
There still remains approximately forty acres to be sold in lots and graves. The lots are not sold with Perpetual Care, but we do sell Perpetual Care Certificates. On these Certificates, Cemetery is self supporting, made so by selling lots, graves, sodding, setting markers and special care on lots during the summer months.
We want the Cemetery to have a clean, restful atmosphere. Perhaps it still may be judged just a Country Cemetery, but what can be more wonderful? Large trees, not to much landscaping, just a peaceful spot by the side of the road, where it spells the end for man on this earth and provided a final resting place.
BY, MRS. HELEN GAISER - APRIL 1952
BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF LOCUST HILL CEMETERY
ALBERT J. KESSEL, PRESIDENT
WM. CLAYBARN, SECRETARY
KENDEL PRUITT, TREASURER
History of Locust Hill Cemetery was sent to me by Gerald Spore. Transcribed as written.
graphics designed by angelbear