Generation No. 1
JARRETT GOODWIN, son of WILLIAM and RUTH GOODWIN, was born in Illinois or Indiana, and died Bef. May 16, 1836. He married SARAH WILKERSON December 05, 1833 in Vanderburgh Co, Indiana. She was born Sarah WEBSTER Abt. 1810 in New York; died Owensville, IN, August 09, 1863. Sarah is buried at Oak Hill Cemetery.
Known child of JARRETT GOODWIN and SARAH WEBSTER is:
- WILLIAM JARRETT GOODWIN, b. September 06, 1834, Indiana; d. May 31, 1881, Henderson, Henderson Co., Kentucky.
Generation No. 2
WILLIAM JARRETT GOODWIN, son of JARRETT GOODWIN and SARAH WEBSTER, was born September 06, 1834 in Indiana, and died May 31st, 1881 in Henderson, Henderson Co., Kentucky. He married RACHAEL TAYLOR SHORT on April 11, 1858 in Vanderburgh Co, IN, daughter of BURIAH SHORT and NANCY STINSON. She was born March 11, 1837 in IN, and died August 23, 1901 in Evansville, Indiana.
Marriage License for William Goodwin and Rachel Short (big file)
A Love Note William J. Goodwin sent to his wife
Known children of WILLIAM GOODWIN and RACHAEL SHORT are:
- NANCY GOODWIN, b. 1859.
- SARAH GOODWIN, b. 1859.
- JARRETT GOODWIN, b. February 1862. Married MATTIE ____, b. June 1862.
- FRANKLIN GOODWIN, b. Abt. 1870.
- CLARA JANE GOODWIN, b. October 14, 1868*, Evansville, Ind; d. February 13, 1955, Philadelphia, Pa.
- GRACE ISABELLA GOODWIN, b. August 31, 1870*; d. January 06, 1949, Philadelphia, PA. She married 1) ALBERT JAMES (or James Albert) BRYAN on June 28, 1890, Wabash Co., IL; 2) RALPH R. DITTENHOEFER b. 1870, New York. He died September 22, 1950 in Philadelphia, PA. Grace and Ralph are buried at Fernwood Cemetery, Lansdowne, PA.
- CHARLES BUNYAN GOODWIN, b. April 14, 1873*. Married CORDIA PARR on January 28, 1896, Wabash Co., IL.
- LEVI WEBSTER GOODWIN, b. October 5, 1877*. Married EMMA SEAGRAVES on March 24, 1900, Wabash Co., IL.
- WILLIAM H. GOODWIN, b. June 24, 1881, Kentucky; d. December 14, 1948, Philadelphia, PA. Married CHRISTINE ______. William is buried at Buried Fernwood Cemetery.
*Source was Rachel Goodwin's Widow's Pension Papers.
Generation No. 3
CLARA JANE GOODWIN (WILLIAM JARRETT) was born ** in Evansville, Ind, and died February 13, 1955 in Philadelphia, Pa. She married (1) JAMES RUSSELL SANDERS October 11, 1887 in Illinois, son of ELISHA SANDERS and SARAH GORDON. He was born June 1861 in Jackson County, TN, and died July 04, 1892 in Ciaro, Il. Clara was James' second wife. Clara married (2) JOHN W. HARRIS October 09, 1894 in Berryville, Richland Co, IL, son of W. HARRIS and JANE WILLIAMS. He was born January 25, 1860 in Carroll Co., VA, and died January 05, 1914 in St. Louis, MO. Clara married (3) WILLIAM A. BIERBOWER Bef. 1920.
**Clara's mother's widow's pension record (Clara's father, William Goodwin, served in the Civil War) shows Clara Jane's date of birth as Oct. 14, 1868. The 1900 census says: Nov. 15, 1867. Her death certificate states Nov. 15., 1866.
Children of CLARA GOODWIN and JAMES SANDERS are:
- DESMOND RUSSELL SANDERS, b. March 16, 1889, Mt. Carmel, Wabash Co., IL; d. December 15, 1908, St.Louis, MO.
- HARRIETT AURELIA SANDERS, b. January 27, 1891, Mt. Carmel, IL; d. March 15, 1964, Philadelphia, Pa.; m. (1) JOSEPH HOWARD RAYBORN, August 06, 1910, St. Charles, MO; b. August 06, 1887, Clay, Ky; d. October 22, 1970, Clay, Ky; m. (2) EARL J. CARNS, Bef. 1949; d. Abt. 1957, Daytona Beach, FL.
- JAMES E. SANDERS, b. July 1892; m. BILLIE _____.
Child of CLARA GOODWIN and JOHN W. HARRIS is:
- JOHN MARSHALL HARRIS, b. October 16, 1895; d. August 20, 1968, Philadelphia, PA; m. LILLIAN MAY; b. 1897; d. 1981, Philadelphia, PA.
Sources used included William Goodwin Widow's Civil War Pension File.
Harriett Carns DAR application
William and Ruth Goodwin Documents shared by John Brassfield. Thank you John!
Go to: Genealogy Home Page
Go to: Our Surnames Page
Last updated on October 19, 2004
background by angelbear