Descendants of ANSEGIS Mayor of Palace from about 644 AD



Charles was the second husband of Carey Charlottie Keppner. Their children wer
sealed to her first husband.

Carey Charlottie KEPPNER

Carey married Emiel Lewis Sprunger 23 Oct 1887. He was her first husband and
she was sealed to him. Charles Jesperson Jones was her second husband.

165. MILES Robert JONES

Miles married Helen Marie Christopherson on 12 Nov 1942

133. Martha JONES

From Ancestral File (TM), data as of 2 January 1996.

Erastus D. MEACHAM

From Ancestral File (TM), data as of 2 January 1996.

Erastus Darwin MECHAM

From Ancestral File (TM), data as of 2 January 1996.

135. Richard JONES Sr.

From Ancestral File (TM), data as of 2 January 1996.

Mary Jane Cummings

From Ancestral File (TM), data as of 2 January 1996.

137. Mary JONES

From Ancestral File (TM), data as of 2 January 1996.

From Ancestral File (TM), data as of 2 January 1996.


From Ancestral File (TM), data as of 2 January 1996.

From Ancestral File (TM), data as of 2 January 1996.

Isaac (Babe) Cummings

When Babe Cummings was 15 years old (1852), he came with his parents across
the plains to Utah. In 1859 he was among the first settlers in Heber Valley.
He helped haul the cornerstone for the first permanent meetinghouse in Provo.
He was one of 40 men sent to intercept Johnston's Army in 1857. He was in the
Walker and Black Hawk Indian War.
When 23 years old, he married Sarah Jones, eighth child of Elisha and
Margaret Talbot Jones. She came from Pennsville, Morgan County, Ohio, to Utah
with her parents in 1850, in the Mather Caldwell company.
Sarah and Isaac were married Apr. 4, 1860, in Provo, by Jonathan Duke, at
Robert Duke's home. They made their home in Provo a short time and then
returned to Heber, where they built a home---humble indeed---with a dirt floor
and dirt roof. It was located at First West and Third North. The house,
remodeled, still stands today and is owned by Jay Jacobson.
As their family increased so did their material means. After 10 children
were born to them, they moved to a home on Main Street at Second South, where
the library now stands. Here two more children were born.
In 1867, with four small children, they went to Salt Lake and were sealed
in the Endowment House.
Sarah Cummings, like many of her day, learned to shear sheep, wash and cord
wool, spin into cloth and make the cloth into clothes. She did sewing for
others besides her own family, and helped make burial clothes and did much
tailoring, mainly men's suits. In the early years of her marriage she spent
manyu hours gleaning in the wheat fields.
As times became better she was encouraged by her husband to take provisions
to less fortunate families. They were especially kind to families whose
fathers were on missions.
Throughout her life she was an active member in the Church. In 1892 she
was chosen first counselor to Anna R. Duke in the Stake YWMIA. On June 12,
1895, she was chosen president of Heber West Ward Relief Society, and on Sept.
23, 1895, she took the place of Mary Daybell as second counselor to Emma Brown
in the Stake Relief Society.
The later years of her life were marked by a prolonged illness. Before her
death, De. 7, 1897, she had been confined to her bed 18 months. She was 55
years old.
Babe Cummings was bowed down in grief. He had been a good husband and now
he was left with six unmarried children, the youngest just eight years old.
For eight years he managed to care for his children, with the help of
married daughters and "hired girls". He died April 7, 1906, at the age of 68.
(Taken from "How beautiful Upon The Mountains", page 320)

Atha Johnson Montgomery, a granddaughter of Babe Cummings has in her
possession a newspaper clipping of Babe's obituary. The following is the full
content of that obituary:


"Babe" Cummings Goes to His Reward.---Was One of the First Settlers of this
Valley. Took an Active Part in the Early Settlement of Utah.

Isaac (familiarly known as "Babe") Cummings died last Saturday, (April 7,
1906 RBM) afternoon of heart trouble of which he has been a sufferer for
several months past, although he has not been confined to his bed but five
He was one of the oldest settlers of this valley and one of its most highly
respected citizens. Few who know him but had a good word to say for "Babe."
He was a kind and generous nature, and even under the mnost trying
circumstances, was always jovial and good natured, always willing to do his
part in any matter pertaining to the welfare of his neighbor or the community
in which he lived.


He was born in Givson County, Tenn., May 31, 1837. Whe the saints were
driven from Nauvoo, he came West with his parents, and in 1852 drove an
ox-train across the plains and also assisted his parents in driving a small
band of sheep, perhaps the first, or nearly the first sheep brought to Utah.
He helpoed to haul the corner stone for the first permanent meeting house
in Provo, the one that now stands on the northeast lot of the block west of
the court house.
In 1857 when Johnson's army was coming to Utah, "Babe" was one of the forty
who, under the leadership of Lot Smith, were sent to intercept and either turn
back or destroy the supply trains of the army. They came upon the supply
trains encamped at Simpson's Hollow on the Green River near midnight on the
night of Oct. 3, and with lighted torches set fire to the covers of the wagons
which caught rapidly. When all the wagons were fairly in a blaze they rode
away threatening to instantly shoot anyone who should attempt to extinguish
the flames.
He passed through the Walker and Blackhawk Indian wars doing service for
his country as best he could, which was no small item, as many who are now
living in this valley can testify. Being of a modest and retiring nature he
made no great pretentions to greatness but his services were recognized by his
companions throughout that period of fear and anxiety, just the same.
In 1859, he came to this valley and he and "Bob" Parker plowed the first
furrow ever turned by a white man in Wasatch County. Others claim this
distinction, but we have the assurance of not only "Babe" himself, but of
others that he and Bpob were the first to stick a plow in the alluvial soil of
Provo valley.
In April 1860, he married Sarah Jones at Provo, and immediately after he
and his fair young bride made the trip through Provo canyon in a blinding snow
storm, to this valley where they have since made their home. Their union was
blessed with twelve children, eight of whom are still living. He also leaves
thirty-six grand children and two great grand children.
Eight years ago his wife died and "Babe" has never been the same man since
that he was before, although kind, generous and good natured (he could not be
otherwise) there was a tinge of sadness about him after her death, that was
never entirely effaced.
Funeral services were held in the Stake house Monday afternoon. Impressive
speeches were made by Patriarchs Thomas Hicken, John Duke and Robert S. Duke.
A long line of vehicles followed the remains to the Heber City Cemetery
where the interment took place.
His children and grand children, most of whom were at his bedside during
his last illness, wish to express their thanks to the many kind friends who
did all that could be done by assistance and sympathy during the illness,
death, and burial of their beloved parent.

(The newspaper from which this clipping came was not evident in the clipping.
I presume that it was in the "Wasatch Wave." RBM)

There are many references to Babe in the Notes for Luella Cummings.

139. Elizabeth JONES

From Ancestral File (TM), data as of 2 January 1996.

James Philander KNIGHT

From Ancestral File (TM), data as of 2 January 1996.

142. Elisha Warren JONES

From Ancestral File (TM), data as of 2 January 1996.

Jane Ann Pierce

This individual has the following other parents in the Ancestral File:
George W /PIERCE/ (AFN:1WBK-4X) and Unknown

From Ancestral File (TM), data as of 2 January 1996.

Jane Ann PIERCE is also listed in some records as Georgana Jane PIERCE.

145. Joseph JONES

From Ancestral File (TM), data as of 2 January 1996.

Mette Marie NIELSEN

From Ancestral File (TM), data as of 2 January 1996.

Charlotte Sybil SEELY

From Ancestral File (TM), data as of 2 January 1996.

From Ancestral File (TM), data as of 2 January 1996.

247. Milton Carlos JONES

Milton is listed as Wilton on some records

248. Ivan JONES

Ivan is listed as Ivora, a female, on some records.

146. Hyrum JONES

From Ancestral File (TM), data as of 2 January 1996.

Alice Ryan

From Ancestral File (TM), data as of 2 January 1996.


Joseph Smith McDonald's descendants from both wives tie into the Cummings line.
His first wife, Nancy Elizabeth Cummings, was the child of John and Rachel
Canardy Cummings; while his second wife, Mary Malinda Jones was the
granddaughter of John and Rachel Canardy Cummings through their daughter Sarah
Ann Cummings who married Elisha Jones.

The descendants of Mary Malinda Jones are doubly related to my (Ralph
Montgomery) line since Isaac (Babe) Cummings married Elisha Jones daughter,
Sarah; and Isaac (Babe) was also the brother to Elisha Jones's first wife, Nanc
Elizabeth. So my line runs through both the Jones and Cummings, while one
family of J. S. McDonald runs through the Jones and both families run through
the Cummings.

Our Pioneer Heritage, Vol.13, p.346
Joseph Smith McDonald was born October 15, 1842. He was but a baby when his
family left Ireland for America, and only eight years old when the family
crossed the plains. At the age of nineteen, Joseph decided to go to the gold
mines and get rich. The family had just moved to Heber City. A special meeting
[p.347] was held for his benefit, and a reasonable offer made him if he would
stay a year. He stayed a year, but never got rich; he was married instead to
Nancy Elizabeth Cummings, the daughter of John and Rachel Kennedy Cummings.
Joseph was twenty and she was nineteen. They were married in 1863 and endowed 1
July 1867.

Our Pioneer Heritage, Vol.13, p.346
The newlyweds had very little with which to start housekeeping. It has been sai
that they put everything they owned on a bed and carried it to their new home.
To the couple were born seven children: Sarah Jane, Joseph C., Rachel, James,
Mary Ann, John and Isaac Joseph was a farmer and stockman, and when he got so
many head of livestock that he could not feed them all, he took them south to
winter out. He also owned a sawmill, in which he sawed all the pickets for the
fence around the old cemetery in Heber. For this he was given four lots. He use
to look at them and wonder what he would ever do with so much burial ground, bu
today they are all filled with his relatives.

Our Pioneer Heritage, Vol.13, p.347
Joseph's wife Nancy died in 1881 after an illness of fifteen months. Two years
later, he was married to Mary Melinda Jones, daughter of Elisha and Sarah Ann
Cummings Jones. They were the parents of ten children: William, Nancy Elizabeth
Annie, Edna, ma, Otto, Stella, Jennie, Hyrum, and Gladys. Joseph's two families
were raised almost like one big family. Peace was maintained in the home by
following the rule that the older children were never to mistreat the younger
ones. Besides helping Joseph raise his first family and her own, Mary took thre
orphan boys into the home. Chester Davis, a half-breed Indian boy, came to live
with them when he was about ten, and stayed until he married. Nels Peterson was
taken at the age of eleven and Arthur Bartell when he was fourteen.

Our Pioneer Heritage, Vol.13, p.347
Joseph was an elder in the Church, and served as a Sunday School teacher for
years~ He was a trustee in the school, a constable, and he carried the mail fro
Daniel to Charleston for a number of years. The Indians came to camp in Joseph'
pasture every summer for years after the Black Hawk War was over. At one time
when Joseph was very ill, three old Indians came and camped until he had
improved. After being blind for a number of years, and bedridden for one, Josep
died February 15, 1930, at the age of 88. Mary died December 7, 1935, at 72.
Joseph and his two wives are buried side by side in the H~~ber Cemetery. On
December 31, 1951, Joseph Smith McDonald had 527 living descendants.
Edna McDonald Simmons.