|
Streets of Cork
| |
|
|
Patrick's
Street This was a busy
watercourse which was arched over in 1783. At first it was called New
Street but was officially named Patrick's Street in 1783. A large part of
the street was destroyed in 1920 when it was burned by British forces.
Charles Stewart Parnell stayed in the Victoria Hotel, on this street, and
spoke from it's balcony. The Gaelic Athletic Association was founded in
this same building on 27th December 1884. At the top of the street, a
bronze statue of Fr. Mathew, by John Foley, was unveiled on 10th October
1864 |

|
| |
|
|

|
Patrick's
Bridge Patrick's Bridge was erected in 1789 and links
Patrick's Street and Merchants Quay on the south side of the river to
Bridge Street, MacCurtain Street and Patrick's Quay on the north. In the
18th century Merchants Quay, part of the great north channel, was lined
with the premises of wealthy merchants catering to the trade on the busy
quay. In the 19th century the quay was lined with hotels, insurance
agents, tailors and shipbrokers. |
| |
|
Parnell
Bridge and City Hall
Parnell Bridge was erected in 1882 and named after Charles Stewart
Parnell. This bridge was replaced by a new one in 1971. On the south side
of the bridge is the site of the Cork Industrial Exhibit of 1852. The corn
exchange building, built for this exhibition, was converted into municipal
buildings and a city hall in 1890. This building was burned down in 1920
and a new city hall was opened by Eamon De Valera on 8th September
1936. The Carnegie Library was opened on 12th September 1905 but this was
also destroyed by the fire of 1920 |

|
| |
|
|

|
King Street
(now MacCurtain Street) Situated on the North side of the river Lee, this area was
originally called the North Strand. The first building on this was erected
in 1750 by the Lavitt family and the street was known as Lavitt's
Buildings. The name was changed to Strand Street in 1790 and to King
Street in the 19th century, after the prominent King family. The streets
present name commemorates Tomas MacCurtain, Lord Mayor of Cork, murdered
by British forces in 1920. |
|
|