Private Pilot Oral Prep
To help with your check ride preparations, be able to answer and discuss these questions:
1. What documents are required to fly this plane today?
2. What is necessary for the airworthiness certificate to be valid?
3. Show me the 100 hour inspection
4. How do you check the ELT?
5. When must the ELT battery be replaced?
6. Why is there an airframe and an engine logbook?
7. When must the next ELT inspection occur for this plane?
8. Who is responsible for the aircraft logbooks?
9. When must the next transponder inspection for this plane occur?
10. What equipment is necessary to fly this plane?
11. What is a minimum equipment list? Does this plane have one? If an instrument is inoperative and there is no MEL, what will you do?
12. If you fly to another airport and the tachometer is inoperative upon arrival, what will you do?
13. Who has the final say as to whether or not an aircraft is airworthy?
14. What documents must you have in order to fly this plane?
15. When does your medical certificate expire?>
16. What is an AD? Are there different types?
17. What are the privileges and limitations for a private pilot?
18. What must you do to remain current as a private pilot?
19. Does the registration ever expire?
20. Can you as a private pilot carry passengers? What are the requirements?
21. What type of engine does this aircraft have?
22. What cools the engine?
23. Describe the fuel system.
24. What type of fuel do you use? What if there is no fuel of this type?
25. Why do we test the fuel?
26. If you find water in the fuel, what will you do?
27. What causes water in the fuel? How can it be minimized?
28. How many gallons of fuel does this plane hold?
29. What does the fuel weigh?
30. What is the minimum fuel reserve, Day? Night?
31. Describe the electrical system. Volts? Amps? Battery? Alternator/Generator?
32. How do you know if the alternator/Generator is working?
33. What is a solenoid? How big is it?
34. What do circuit breakers do?
35. Why do we need carburetor heat?
36. Where does carburetor heat come from?
37. Where does the cabin heat come from?
39. How can you tell when carburetor ice is present?
40. What do you do if you suspect carburetor ice?
41. What type of brakes does this aircraft have?
42. Describe the oil system. Type of oil, oil weight, and capacity.
43. What is the maximum oil temp?
44. What is the operating oil temperature?
45. What instruments work off of the pitot tube?
46. What is a pitot tube? How does it work?
47. What is a static port?
48. What instruments work off of the static port?
49. Describe what happens if the pitot tube becomes inoperable.
50. How does the altimeter work?
51. What type of turn coordinator does this plane have?
52. How does the VSI work?
53. How does the heading indicator, DG work?
54. Describe the vacuum system.
55. What errors can occur with a gyroscopic system?
56. What is a VOR, how does it work?
57. Why are there two magnetos?
58. What will you do if the alternator fails in flight? How do you know if it is no longer functioning?
59. Describe the control surfaces of the aircraft.
60. What will you do if there is an engine fire on the ground?
61. What will you do if there is a cabin fire in flight?
62. What are v-speeds?
63. What are the v-speeds for this plane?
64. What v-speed is not marked on the airspeed indicator? why not?
65. Show me the weight and balance for this flight plan.
66. How do you know the BEW? What is it?
67. What airspace is ____________________?
68. What are the types of airspace? Describe each.
69. What is required to enter class B airspace?
70. Show me a MOA, CFA
71. What is a TRSA? Show it to me.
72. What are these lines with a number on them? (V-lanes)
73. What is the tallest object in this area?
74. Translate the information provided on the map aobut his airport.
75. Where else can you find this airport information?
76. How do you know if it is a controlled airport?
77. What is the minimum altitude that you may fly at in a n uncontested area? Near people? Forrest preserves?
78. Can you fly under class B airspace? Do you need to contact anyone?
79. How do you open a flight plan?
80. What happens if you forget to close your flight plan?
81. What altitude may you fly a heading of 150?
82. What is the take of distance required under these conditions?
83. How many gallons per hour will you burn under these cruise conditions?
84. What is the landing distance required under these conditions?
85. What effects take off distance?
86. What are the various sources of weather?
87. Translate this METAR, Area forecast.
88. What is an Airmet? Kinds?
89. What are Sigmets?
90. What is a Special VFR clearance?
91. What do you do if you fly into a cloud?
92. What would you do if you encounter ice?
93. What are medical factors?
94. What are the different types of Hypoxia?
95. What do you do if someone is hyperventilating?
96. Why is it a problem for someone to fly after scuba diving?
97. What are the hazards of night flight?
98. Demonstrate how you will call __________ Approach on the radio.
99. What is the NTSB?
100. What is the difference between an incident and an accident?
Back to Aviation Page
© 2003 Dana lumley