The National Parliamentary Library of Georgia stands in the centre of
Tbilisi, on Lado Gudiashvili street.It has three old buildings decorated with the old
Georgian ornaments and one modern one. The library has 150 years of
history. Its predecessor was a public library which was founded in 1846, and was based on
vicegerent's private library, which consisted from 6200 printed items.
Tbilisi Public Library has been considered as one of the best from the second half of XIX
century by foreign travelers and scientists, who visited Tbilisi.
From 1931 the library moved to the building of the former Nobility Bank (current first
building). It was built in XIX century and is one of the most beautiful specimen of the
Georgian architecture. Afterwards the Library joined several excellent buildings.
The name of the library was changed several times and from 1997 it is called the
National Parliamentary Library of Georgia.
There are preserved many collections of the famous scientists, publicmen, writers,
institutions and organizations.There are stored unique and rich literature in regional
studies. Over 16 million printed items are stored in large, light reading
rooms, halls and spacious cellars.
The oldest book preserved in the library is Seneka's "Tragedies", which is
printed in Florentia in 1506. Among the oldest manuscripts preserved in the library
is XIII century Georgian manuscript of "Gospel".
From 1980 the funds of the library were enriched annually by 400- 500
printed items in Georgian, Russian and other languages of former USSR. A large amount of
books was received in English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Oriental and other
languages. Today, because of shortage of funds available for book aqcuisition, the main
sources of collection development are gifts and book exchanges.
Nowadays the aim of the Library is to serve the readers, both - residents of Georgia
and those who are outside the coutry, using broad capabilities of high technologies on the
level of modern standards. The Library's mission is to make its resources available and
useful to the Parliament and the Georgian people and sustain and preserve the universal
collection of knowledge for future generations.