The Gross-Steinberg Family Tree presents:

Canadian Jewish Times

by James Gross

Date:    Fri, 7 Nov 1997 11:59:03 -0500
From:    Stanley Diamond 
Subject: 1897 - 1909 Canadian Jewish Times now online

Genealogists who have used Lawrence Tapper's "A Biographical
Dictionary of Canadian Jewry, 1910 - 1914" (published by Avotaynu,
Inc., P.O.Box 900, Teaneck, NJ) will be pleased to learn of the
"publication" of a new volume covering the period from 1897 to 1909.

The new volume has not been published in print; it is only available
through a search on the Ancestry, Inc. website.  The Ancestry Inc.
address is:

To go directly to the Canadian Jewish Times webpage, the address is:

Subject: Re: Canadian Baturalization Records

 "Gregory J. Bradbury" " recently requested
information on   Canadian Naturalisation Records.

The following is taken from a post I wrote last year

>I finally received the form, which when completed, is to be sent
>to the Court of Canadian Citizenship or the Registrar of Canadian
>Citizenship with the following:
>1) photocopies of at least 2 pieces of documentation to establish
>your identity
>2) a fee of $100!!!!!!!.
>3) a signed release of information from the person whose record
>is being requested (what if the person is deceased?)
>4) an acceptable reason for the request ......

        There is a cheaper method ($5.00) if you are a Canadian
Citizen or  have a Canadian Address and can establish that the
person in question has been deceased for 20 years and that is
to use the "Access to Information" Act (the Canadian equivalent
of the Freedom of Information Law).

        Access to Information forms are available from many
Public Libraries and government offices in Canada.  Separate
forms are required for each Federal Government Institution which
might hold such forms. In our case my brother (a Canadian) asked
the Citizenship and Immigration Department for immigration and
cititzenship papers for X and we provided our best guess as to
year of arrival and prior residences.

    You must either prove that you are X or that X has been dead
for at least 20 years (proof can be in the form of a death
certificate, newspaper obituary, or a photo of a tombstone).
A check for $5 Cdn made out to the Receiver General of Canada
is required for each form.  The requester must state that he is
"a Canadian Citizen, a permanent resident or another individual
present in Canada or a corporation present in Canada"

The form and the check should be sent to:

        Access to Information Officer
        Citizenship and Immigration Canada
        3rd Floor, Journal Towers,North
        300 Slater Street
        K1A 1L1 (Note: those are ones not eyes)

   Figure on about 3 weeks for an initial response and an
additional 6  weeks for real information (a copy of our
grandmother's application for citizenship and a copy of her late
husband's naturalization papers which she used to establish her

        My grandmother's application (1941) includes her date
and place of birth and the name of the ship and year of arrival
in North America. My grandfather's 1906 citizenship certificate
includes a statement that he had been living in Canada for 3 1/2
years (the minimum).  His "index card" states his occupation
and his former residence (city,country) in Europe and the name
of court that handled the naturalization process.

    Why did my grandmother wait until 1941 - my father thinks
that was the year women were given the vote in Canada.  Other
reasons might have been a need for papers to visit relatives
in New York during the war, fear of internment, or that
citizens got better ration books.

Quoting from the respose
   "Prior to 1919 naturalization was handled locally by
provincial courts and very few details were forwarded to our
Department.  No applications or documentst pertaining to anyone
who was naturalized locally prior to 1919 is available.
Immigration records prior to January 1, 1919 are under the
jurisdiction of National Archives of Canada, 395 Wellington
Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0N3, Attn: Mrs Ellen Scheinberg
(telephone 613-996-7733)".

Archives Canada has a web site dealing with Immigration records
Canada website

Avrum Lapin,
Upland, CA

[smile logo][smile logo]

My Surnames

Master surname

Surnames Lithuanian
Surnames Polish Surnames


To contact me please send me an e-mail