San Jose Art MuseumSan Jose, California
This Richardson Romanesque-style structure was the city's first building,
namely the old U.S. Post Office. Designed by Willoughby Edbrooke, this
edifice was built in 1892 using sandstone from the nearby Goodrich Quarry in
New Almaden. An upper portion of the corner tower was lost in the 1906
earthquake. In 1933, the post office operations were moved to a new facility
near St. James Park after the old quarters were determined to be too small.
From 1937 to 1970, the building served as a public library. Then. In 1971, it
became the San Jose Museum of Art. A 45,000 square foot wing was added to the
museum's existing building in 1991. The Art Museum is located at South
Market and San Fernando, Downtown San Jose.
San Jose Museum of Art
Obverse of San Jose Coin Club 1984 Medal
Click here to tour next Historic Building: 27. TRINITY EPISCOPAL CATHEDRAL-SAN JOSE
to return to Home Page