The East San Jose Carnegie Library has been open for continuous service since
construction was completed in 1908. The library remains one of the oldest
Carnegie Libraries in continuous use and the only one of five once in Santa
Clara County. Initially, the library was part of the City of East San Jose,
which was incorporated on 1906, in part so that it could qualify for a
$7,000 Carnegie grant for the library. City officials had to agree to
provide the land where it was located, as well as to spend $700 annually to
support it. In 1911, East San Jose voted overwhelmingly to annex to the city
of San Jose. The 3-year old library and its employees came with the deal and
began operating as a branch library. The library bulding was subsequently
expanded from the rear to increase its capacity and utility to the public.
The Library is located at 1102 East Santa Clara Street. San Jose.