Santa Clara County CourthouseSan Jose, California
Completed in 1867, this imposing building was constructed in the hope of attracting the State Legislature back to San Jose. It was designed by Levi Goodrich, a noted local architect. The original building was two-storied with central dome. After its collapse in a fire in 1932, the dome was replaced by the present third story. The courthouse was renovated and restored in 1973. Then, in 1989, it was damaged again by the Loma Prieta earthquake and underwent extensive renovation. The building reopened in 1994 to continue as a county courthouse. The Courthouse is located at 191 First Street, Downtown San Jose.