Mission Santa ClaraSanta Clara, California
The Mission Santa Clara is located on the grounds of the University of
Santa Clara and is officially designated State Landmark No. 318. The present
building is an enlarged replica of the original church built on this site in
1822-25. Mission Santa Clara was appropriately named for Santa Clara de Asis
who in 1212 founded the Second order of St. Francis, was "sister" mission to
that of Mission San Francisco de Asis, named for the order of Francisco
Friars to which Father Serra and all the Alta California mission padres
In 1926, the old mission church was destroyed by fire. The St. Francis Chapel
at the rear of the church is the only surviving remnant of the 1822 church.
The University of Santa Clara was the first institution to offer classes in
higher learning in California. Also, a place to visit is the site of the
third mission (1784-1818), at Franklin and El Camino, adjacent to the main
entrance to the University.
here to tour next Historic Building:16.MONTGOMERY HOTEL-SAN JOSE
to return to Home Page