GeoCitesSites.com

Trinity Episcopal Cathedral

San Jose, California

Chruch Photo

This Victorian, Carpenter Gothic Church was constructed in 1863 and is the oldest church building in San Jose. John W. Hammond, a sea captain and member of the parish, built the structure to his own design. A simple rectangle with a steeply hipped roof, it was constructed largely of redwood logged in the Santa Cruz Maintains. In 1876, the church was cut in half and pulled apart by horse teams and the front was shifted to face North Second Street, increasing the building's capacity two-fold. It was rebuilt in the form of a cross and features fine interior carpentry. A bell tower was added at this time, and in 1884, additions included the church rooms, the tower and spire. The church is located in Downtown San Jose on North Second Street at St. John.


Chruch Photo

Close-up View of Church Facade


Church Photo

Winner of obverse design for 1999 San Jose Coin Club Medal.
For additional information contact the San Jose Coin Club at P.O. Box 5621, San Jose, CA 95150.

Church Photo

Trinity Episcopal Cathedral
Obverse of San Jose Coin Club 1999 Medal.


Click here to tour next Historic Building: 28. UMBARGER HOUSE-SAN JOSE

Click here to return to Home Page