Dr. Adams has been referred to frequently in these pages, both as a missionary and pastor of several Churches. We think it is necessary to add at this place, a few items concerning his long and useful life. We say useful advisedly, for he was one of those plain, honest, conscientious workers for the welfare of mankind whom God honors by making useful in the highest sense. His labors as an educator and his long service as a minister of Christ have made an abiding mark on the character of all who knew him. He left a memory without a single stain, as a "faithful servant of the Lord."
George F. Adams was born in Dorchester, Mass., in 1802. Removed to Ohio at at early age, he was converted and baptized in 1812. At twenty, he was licensed to preach, and entered Columbian College in
1824, to prepare himself for the ministry. In 1829, he was principal of the College school and pastor of the incipient body which formed the E Street Church, with which he had been ordained in 1837. Thirty years later, the Columbian University honored its former principal with the title that heads this chapter. From 1830 to 1835, he was principal of a ladies' academy in Falmouth, Va., and assistant pastor with Rev. R. P. Semple of a Church in Fredericksburg. In 1836, he came to Baltimore, served the Board and various Churches as herein recorded, until the Civil War, when he went back to Virginia; but soon returned again, and from 1863 to 1865 labored as missionary here. In 1865, he took charge of a female school in Onancock, from which he was called in 1867 to the Baptist Church at Hampton, where he built up the cause for nine years. In 1876, failing in health, he returned to Baltimore, where he died, April 16, 1877. Every suitable respect was paid to his memory by the Baptists of this city, and his remains were placed in Baltimore Cemetery, beneath a marble erected by them.
He was twice married and left a widow and several children. We are indebted to one of his sons, Dr. Charles S. Adams, for the privilege of copying a photograph likeness taken in 1850, when his father was in his prime. The engraving is accurate and will recall his familiar features to those who remember him at that period.
[From History of Baptist Churches in Maryland Connected with the Maryland Baptist Union Association, 1885, pp. 217-218. — jrd]
Baptist History Homepage