Security of the Believer
By J. N. Hall
1. There are two classes of believers, the nominal and the real. For the nominal I affirm nothing. For the real, I affirm a divine security.
2. The true child of God is born of God. "That which is born of the Spirit is spirit." John 3:6. They are "born, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible." 1 Peter 1:23. He that is born of God doth not commit sin." 1 John 3:9.
3. There is only one spiritual birth. 1 Peter 1:23. "Liveth and abideth forever."
There is but one spiritual death. Romans 6:6-11. "He that is dead is freed from sin." There is but one spiritual resurrection. Ephesians 2:1-6. "You hath he quickened."
4. By this new birth the child of God par�takes of the divine nature. 2 Peter 1:4, "par�takers of the divine nature."
5. The believer is sealed to the day of re�demption. Ephesians 1:13 "Sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, until the redemption of the pur�chased possession." Ephesians 4:30. "Sealed unto the day of redemption." 2 Corinthians 1:22. "Who hath also sealed us and given the earnest of the spirit in our hearts."
6. Who shall separate them from Christ?
The Spirit bears witness � heirs of God � "The wicked one shall not touch them." 1 John 5:18. Then Satan cannot do it. "Sin shall not have domination." Romans 6:14. The world cannot do it. "Whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world." 1 John 5:4. The law cannot do it. The believer is free from the law of sin and death. Romans 8:1. He is "not under the law but under grace." Romans 6:14. Persecutions cannot do it. "For thy sake we are killed all the day long." Romans 8:36. Can the believer himself do it? "I will put my fear in their hearts and they shall not depart from me." Jeremiah 32:40.
7. The covenant between Father and Son secures them.
"I will make him my first born." Psalm 89:19, 27, 34. "Higher than the kings of the earth etc."
8. The covenant between God and his people secures them.
"I will make a new covenant with, them." Jeremiah 31:31. "They shall not depart from me." Jeremiah 32:40.
9. God makes oath to them. "As I have sworn to Noah." Isaiah 54:7-10. "It is impossible for God to lie." "Hope sure and steadfast." Hebrews 6:13-20.
10. Christ calls them his sheep, and gives them eternal life, and says: "A stranger they will not follow" and no one is able to pluck them out of the Father's hand.
"My sheep hear my voice etc." John 10:9, 11:27-30. Compare Psalm 23, Luke, 15:46, and 1 Samuel 17:34-35.
11. The true believer has eternal life.
"Shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:14.
"The gift of God is eternal life." Romans 6:23.
"That ye may know ye have eternal life." 1 John 5:13.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee." John 17:3.
12. The relation as God's child sustains him, joint heirs with Christ. Romans 8:16, etc.
"I in them, thou in me, that they may be per�fect in one." John 17:22.
13. Christ their surety.
"Jesus surety of a better covenant, ever liveth to make intercession for us." Hebrews 7:22-25. "If any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father." 1 John 2:1.
14. God's promises to give them security.
"Your life is hid with Christ in God, and ye shall appear with him in glory." Colossians 3:3.
"No weapon formed against thee shall pros�per." Isaiah 54:17.
"Shall not come unto condemnation." John 5:24.
"Mary hath the good part that shall never be taken away from her." Luke 10:41.
15. God will never forsake them.
"I will.be with you always even to the end." Matthew 28:20.
"I will send another comforter to abide with you forever." John l4:16.
"Passing through waters and fire, they shall not hurt thee." Isaiah 43:2.
"I will not turn away from him to do him good." Jeremiah 32:46.
"The Lord will preserve thee forever." Psalm 12:14.
"He preserveth the souls of his saints." Psalm 97:10.
"Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down." Psalm 37:23-28.
16. God pledges his Omnipotence.
"A strong man armed, keepeth his place." Luke 11:21.
17. All things work together for good to God's child.
"All things work together for good to them that love God." Romans 8:28.
18. Nothing is able to separate from Christ.
"I am persuaded that neither life nor death etc." Romans 8:35-39.
19. God is able to keep what has been com�mitted to him.
"I know whom I have believed, and am per�suaded he is able to keep that which I have com�mitted unto him, against that day." 2 Timothy 1:12.
20. He never knew the lost ones.
"I never knew you, depart from me." Matthew 7:21-23.
21. The prayer of Christ secures them.
"Holy Father, keep, through thine own name those whom thou has given me." John 17:11.
"I will, that those than hast given me, be with me that they may behold my glory." John 17:24.
22. Christ's blood cleanses from all sin.
"The blood of Jesus Christ cleanses from all sin. 1 John 1:7.
"In whom we have redemption through his blood." Ephesians 1:7, Colossians 1:14.
23. Christ's righteousness secures us.
"For Christ is the end of the law for right�eousness, to every one that believeth." Romans 10:4.
"This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and their righteousness is of me saith the Lord." Isaiah 54:13.
"He shall be called the Lord our righteous�ness." Jeremiah 23:6.
24. God's love never ceases toward us.
"I have loved thee with an everlasting love." Jeremiah 31:3.
"Love worketh no ill." Romans 13:10.
"Having loved his own, he loved them to the end." John 13:1.
25. The Lord does not impute sin to us.
"Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin." Romans 4:5-8.
[W. B. Barker, Memoirs of Elder J. N. Hall, 1907, pp. 184-188. This book was provided by Steve Lecrone. - jrd]
J. N. Hall Index
Baptist History Homepage